It does not exactly inspire confidence when you come across a sudden succession of shudders or thumps that originate from the engine in your car. Yes, that's right! Issues such as knocking could be vital signs of serious complications, or perhaps that your engine timing is a little off. Instead of spending dollars on replacing, or a professional service provider, you can go for DIY options.
To be specific, the best timing light helps you adjust the engine timing, such that your engine functions at peak power. Who does not want that, and all from the convenience of your chosen location? Even more, the lights we have in this list are highly ergonomic – perfect for use in highly compact areas of the engine.
Top 8 Timing Light Gun Reviews
The INNOVA 5568 Pro Timing Light with Tool case is an excellent recommendation for your mechanical work. It comes with a four-function digital readout, which includes a tachometer, advance, dwell and voltage. The heavy-duty and shockproof housing features a moulded boot for optimal protection against fan blades.
Even more, the detachable 6-foot leads have an inductive pick-up to make this unit highly convenient to use. Made using heavy-duty, ABS and shockproof housing, this unit has a moulded boot for optimal protection against the fan blades. More so, the backlit screen provides easy viewing, even in the hard to see places. Thanks to the slim and rotating barrel, you are sure of an exceptional timing mark.
The four-function digital readout even comes with tachometer ranges between 249-9,990 RPM. Plus, it also works well with most ignition systems including (DIS, conventional, electronic and the computer-controlled systems).
Thanks to the easy to use plug and play design, this unit provides exceptionally easy to set up. It even has a slim and adjustable barrel, that provides an exceptional aim at the timing mark, even in tight spaces. The inclusion of detachable leads and inductive pick-ups make set up and storage convenient.
With the Houkiper Engine Timing light, you have a convenient way to re-time your car`s ignition for the best performance. Suitable for vehicle, car and all types of two-stroke engines, it’s the perfect way to time the functionality of your engine. It even comes with a solid-state burnout proof polarity, with an automotive reverse function. Furthermore, the sliding clamp-on inductive pick-up makes it easy and safe to hook up on your chosen area.
The makers of this unit have done well to include the unique pistol-grip design. It’s a handle pistol type design that conforms to your comfort needs. The button is comfortable, feels good and makes it easy to use the timing light.
The timing light also features a sensor clip which is red and black, which you can use to distinguish negative and positive leads. More so, the colour of the wire is different, which helps prevent the glue sleeve of the clip from detaching.
You will also be pleased with the superior performance of this unit, with speeds all through the 10000rpm maximum rating. Also, the bright bulb delivers concentrated light for optimal visibility of the timing mark. It even comes with a detachable clamp-on inductive pick-up, for safe and convenient hookup.
Realize what you have been missing in your mechanical work regimen when you have the Actron CP7529 Digital Timing Light. The light comes with a microprocessor-controlled circuit, which has many advanced features. These include a bright LED display, mode indicator lights and a convenient Xenon flashlight.
You will find this unit easy to use to measure the engine RPM, and even set the initial timing levels. Plus, the timing light works well with gasoline-powered vehicles. It does not matter whether the car is a conventional, electronic, computer-controlled or a two-cycle ignition system.
Thanks to the RPM/advance selector button, and up/down buttons will make it easy to use this timing light. The light even has a super bright Xenon flash, that will make it easy to see timing marks – even during the day. With the all-metal inductive pick-up and durable ABS housing, you have a rugged and heat resistant timing light for your needs.
The Actron CP7259 also has a microprocessor-controlled circuit, which has several advanced features such as LED display, mode indicator lights and a flashlight. It’s the ideal timing light for any DIY enthusiast or even professional. You can use it to measure the engine RPM and advance, to set the initial timing, as well as to check the centrifugal advance levels. It works well on gasoline-powered vehicles, that feature electronic, or even computer-controlled ignition systems.
Take the performance of your car to the next level with the Engine Timing Light with Feeler Gauge. You never have to worry about running out power for the light. That is, as long as your car runs, and is connected to a 12-volt battery, it will produce power, and this timing light will help. It has various unique features to make it easy and highly convenient to use.
For instance, the ergonomic pistol grip design means that this unit fits in your hands for the best performance. More so, you should be aware that people prefer using the cooler and “ray gun-shaped” pistol timing lights. Why? Well, because they are highly ergonomic inside the close confines of your car engine which often has little space. Yes, that's right!
The handle pistol design conforms to the engineering design, and the button is comfortable to use. The extended length cables make it easy to connect to the engine bay of your car. It even features sensor clips of up to 4ft in cable length. The timing light is also easy to adapt to different kinds of 12v batteries for motorcycles, ATVs, personal watercraft and more,
The ESI 130 self-powered timing light is perfect for measuring the engine timing of your car. It’s a light packed with several unique features for the best performance each time. For instance, the light is accurate for up to at least 14,000 RPM – perfect for both motorcycles and cars.
As one of the best timing lights in the market, this unit comes with many unique features. For instance, the light has a protective heat sleeving, which can withstand high temperatures of as much as 1200F. The standard lead length also averages at 4 ft to make it highly convenient to use in small spaces.
The timing light will also deliver a bright flash at all speeds, a crucial function if you want to improve car timing. Whether it's for marine, industrial, racing engines or even small engine timing, this tool is always reliable to use.
With the Xenon Inductive Timing light, you are sure of a reliable tool to improve the performance of your car, motorcycle and more. The light will easily operate on 12v ignition systems, and it has a solid-state burnout proof polarity. On top of that, the light has a sliding inductive pick-up, for safe and easy hookup
Designed to be practical, this exceptional white xenon tube is suitable for use during the day. Its convenient and easy to operate, thus making it perfect for various applications. You will also be pleased with the exceptional convenience features this unit has to offer. For instance, the sensor clip is red and black, to make it easy to distinguish positive and negative poles. It's easy to use, and more secure than most timing lights out there. Plus, the colour of the wire is different, which helps ensure the glue sleeve won't come off.
The exceptional handle pistol type design conforms to high-level engineering factors for ergonomics. As such, the timing light is comfortable, feels good, and facilitates ease of operation.
With the ALLOMN Xenon Inductive timing light, you will get a reliable solution for tracking the performance of your automobile. It’s a timing light that has all the unique features you need to take your productivity to the next level. The light has a solid-state burnout proof polarity with automotive reverse. Thus, you can be sure of optimal polarity and overload protection.
As one of the most durable timing lights on the market, this unit will provide many years of reliable performance. It's high ergonomic, and will fit comfortably in your hands – perfect for use in the most compact sections of your engine. The Allomn Xenon Timing Light also features an accurate light, which makes it easy to adjust the timing of your automobile.
Remember that, being able to install your timing light conveniently to your car should be a key factor to consider when using such a tool. The sliding clamp-on inductive pick-up makes this unit easy and safe to set up. You will find this unit to use to improve the timing of your car ignition for the best performance results. It's perfect for cars, motorcycles and more. Plus, you can use this timing light on 12V ignition systems conveniently.
Realize what you have been missing in your car ignition when you finally have the OTC 3367 professional timing light. The timing light features a bright LED screen and mode indicator lights make this unit highly convenient to use. Like you would expect with a top-notch digital timing light, it's easy to use, and provides reliable information for your needs.
For instance, the timing light comes with a microprocessor-controlled circuit to make it easy to use for measuring the car ignition performance. Furthermore, the LED tachometer display read 0-9999 RPM to make it perfect for different types of cars. Yes, that's right! This unit is dynamic, and you can use it on either a motorcycle or a car.
Moreover, the innovative flashlight feature makes this unit highly convenient for use in poorly lit areas. The timing light even features quality up and down scroll buttons, which you can use to customize the functionality of the timing light. Thanks to the all-metal inductive pick-up, this unit offers exceptional accuracy levels, and all with the convenience of a one-touch control.
How to Buy the Best Timing Light
Factors to Consider When Buying the Best Timing Light
A right timing light has many features, to make it a reliable tool for your needs. We have rounded up some key factors to get you started with the selections process
- Brand - There are many brands of timing lights in the market. As such, it would be great if you consider your preferred brand before investing. There are many quality brands, including OTC, Xenon, Allmon and more. With any of these brands, you are sure of a reliable timing light that offers reliable performance.
- Design - Before you settle on a specific type of timing light, ensure you also understand your needs. Furthermore, you may need more knowledge about your car engine than what you expect from a DIY enthusiast. Yes, that's right! Not all timing lights function the same, and neither are all of them suitable for 4,6,8-cylinder engines.
- Type - Inductive and incline are the two main factors to consider when shopping for timing lights. The main difference between these two relates to the quality of connections. Whereas a timing light requires that you remove the number 1 spark plug, an inductive timing light lets you clip around the spark plug. Usually, you complete this process by using an inbuilt sensor for convenience.
- The affordable version of these two would be the include type. That said, the inductive lights might be on the costly end of the shopping scale, but they are perfect for DIYers and can stop electrocution.
- Ease of Use - The best timing light comes with a microprocessor, which works to control the timing lights. These are perfect, especially if you plan to spend an extra dime. Also, remember to check for aspects such as design ergonomics. A good timing light is comfortable, and fits comfortably in your hands for ease of use.
Benefits of Using A Timing Light
A timing light has many benefits, with most high-end models being suitable for both DIY enthusiasts and professional mechanics. There is nothing worse than when your car produces weird sounds from the engine. These could all be signs that your vehicle has complications, or perhaps that the timing of the engine is inaccurate.
Below are some of the advantages of using timing lights:
- Improves the lifespan of your engine – you should know by now that engines are delicate mechanical resources, and they require the correct care procedures. Using timing lights helps ensure the ignition has proper timing, not to compromise the performance of the engine.
- Ease to use - Using a timing light is a relatively simple process. You never have to worry about running out power. The best part about timing lights is that they are different from flashlights. To be specific, as long as the car operates, and the light is connected to a 12-volt battery, it will always work. If the engine is off, then you can just clamp the red wire of the timing light to the positive terminal of the battery. Then, connect the black cable to the negative terminal. Finally, take the signal wire and clamp it directly to the Number 1 spark plug wire for convenient use.
- Fuel efficiency – with a timing light, your car engine operates at optimal levels, and with the ideal fuel economy.
- Enhanced ignition performance – the timing light will not only improve the fuel mileage, but it also enhances the overall performance of your car.
- Electrical resource – some high-end timing lights are available with electrical solutions. These are excellent for checking for electrical and engine faults that may occur in your car.
Features of the Best Timing Light
- Design ergonomics – a good timing light is ergonomic, in that it fits comfortably in your hands for convenient use. Usually, most timing lights have a pistol grip design, which is perfect for reaching the most remote areas of the engine. Thus, you have a comfortable tool, which feels good to use, and also facilitates the operation of the car.
- Extended length cables – remember to go for timing lights that are easy to set up on your car. Usually, the timing lights feature sensor clips that have long cable lengths of up to 4 ft. Thus, you never have to worry about the length of the cable, when it comes to using the timing light. You can even adapt it to various types of 12V batteries for ATVs, RVs, boats and more.
- Bonus features – some high-end timing lights are available with a host of unique features to consider. For instance, some lights are available with ignition spark testers, which you can use to test the condition of the ignition system at each cylinder.
You will find it easy to use at each cylinder without having to invest in expensive mechanics. More so, a spark connector also connects between the spark plug and the wire in a few seconds. Thus, you will find it easy to test compromised connections or defective points in your connection.
You have to accept responsibility if you own a car or a motorcycle. These are multifaceted tools, which have many components working together to help you move around. In this guide, we have for you some of the best timing light brands on the market. When you have one of these units, you will find it easy to take the performance of your car to the next level. The lights are easy to set up and convenient to use even in compact areas of your car`s engine.
Before you buy a timing light, it's good for you to consider a few critical factors for the best performance. Thus, get a good light, and instantly take your car performance to the next level.