3D printing is the future. In time, it will replace many expensive and time-consuming manufacturing processes. On a smaller scale, we have 3D printing pens that allow artists, hobbyists, designers, and anyone with some creativity to create their own unique designs.
The opportunities are limitless with these futuristic air drawing tools. You can doodle, design, draw, and write anything with these great 3D pens we review today. If you are looking for a new hobby gadget or something to take your art to the next level, consider buying one of these 3D drawing pens.
The Best 3D Printing Pens
7TECH 3D Printing Pen New Function with LCD Screen...
- -REALITY-3D printing pen makes you watching your imagination come to life
- -EASY CONTROL-You can easily control extrusion speed, temperature, filament;...
- -SAFE-Advanced unclogging mechanisms technology prevents jamming for easy...
The 7TECH 3D printing pen packs a whole lot of great features and is designed for ease of use. It’s an intelligent pen that can even notify you when the filaments get stuck. It looks good, feels great, and is a great option for your 3D drawing, doodling, or designing projects. This pen falls at a mid-range price and is affordable, although, not the cheapest on our list.
- Unclogging and notifying mechanism for stuck filaments
- 1-year guarantee
- Funky design
- Adjustable filament extrusion levels
- Uses non-toxic ABS filaments
- Easy to hold and control
- Unclogging mechanism
- Thermal control – filament cools down immediately after use
- High operating temperature
- Insufficient filaments included
- Not ideal for kids to use
3Doodler Create 3D Pen With 50 Plastic Strands, No...
- WORLD'S FIRST AND NO. 1 BEST SELLING 3D PEN: 3Doodler Create is the newest model...
- DOODLE IN 3D: Draw vertically. Draw horizontally. Lift your imagination off the...
- 3D ART MADE EASY FOR ALL ADULTS: From hobbyists to crafters, artists and...
The 3D Doodler pen is the world’s very first 3D printing pen. It’s the pen that started it all. It has been upgraded and improved a few times and today we have a wonderful pen that is great for any and all 3D printing drawing and doodling designs. It has multiple great features that make it one of the best on the market, if not the best. It’s a higher-end pen and one of the more expensive items on this list.
- Cool and sleek design
- Has 50 extra plastic filaments
- Filaments don’t get clogged
- Easy to replace filaments
- Works on multiple surfaces including cardboard and paper
- Excellent quality pen
- Non-toxic plastic filaments
- Very versatile pen
- Comes with changeable nozzles
- 300-day replacement policy
- Great design
- 50 extra filaments
- Excellent quality
- Easy to manage and replace filaments
- Not ideal for beginners as it takes time to get used to
- Heavier model than other 3D printing pens on the market
3D Printing Pen, Glyby Intelligent 3D Drawing...
- PERFECT AFTER-SALE PROTECTION : Please ensure the packaging is properly intact...
- DEVELOP IMAGINATION: The 3D pen is a great tool for anyone interested in 3D...
- DESIGN OF INTELLIGENT STANDBY FUNCTION: The product will automatically switch to...
The Glyby Intelligent pen is a great choice for kids who want to give 3D drawing and doodling a shot. It is easy to use and any child will love it. Its design is very simple and maybe not be as attractive as other 3D printing pens, but in terms of performance and features, it’s right there with the rest. More good news is that this pen is an affordable option as it falls within the lower price range.
- Can be used on multiple surfaces
- Very good for kids
- Easy to use design
- Intelligent standby function that switches the pen off after 5 minutes of non-use
- Adjustable speed options
- Thermal regulation
- 18-month guarantee
- Very affordable
- Easy to use
- Great for kids
- Intelligent standby function
- Not ideal for adult users
3D Pen, CreoPop 3D Printer Pen with Innovative...
- THE SAFEST 3D PEN: proven with 20+ certificates, no UV, non-toxic, always cool...
- 100% FREE FORM: rapidly hardening inks allow drawing both vertical & horizontal...
- INCREDIBLE RELIABILITY: due to unique cool inks CreoPop never gets clogged or...
The CreoPop 3D printing pen is one of the top pens available on the market at the moment. It falls in the high price range category but is definitely worth it. If you are serious about your 3D air drawing projects this is the pen for you. It has multiple great features and it’s the first pen to work with cool ink. It uses photopolymers that are solidified through LED diodes instead of using thermoplastics like other 3D pens. It’s also unique because it’s a cordless pen.
- Easy to use
- No hot parts because of photopolymer use
- Suitable for creatives of all ages
- Unique and funky looking pen
- Quick to change the ink
- Cordless and battery-operated
- Charges through USB
- Scented ink to improve the mood and make 3D drawing enjoyable
- Suitable for all ages
- No hot parts
- Uses photopolymers instead of thermoplastics
- Limited suppliers of ink so it may not be as readily available
- More expensive than most other 3D printing pens
MYNT3D Professional Printing 3D Pen with OLED...
- Watch imagination come to life with the Professional 3D Pen
- Adjustable feed lets you regulate speed & flow for optimal control of material...
- Temperature is adjustable in 1 degree increments from 130 to 240 C, for optimal...
The MYNT3D pen is great for all your drawing, doodling, writing, and sketching needs. Create wonderful and unique art with this 3D printing pen from MYNT3D. You will keep yourself and the kids busy for hours. It has many great features and some newer features that older pens won’t have. This pen falls in the mid-range of prices and may be a bit too expensive for a child, but is very good value for money.
- Controllable speed and flow of filament
- Temperature levels can be adjusted to suit type of filament
- Large OLED display to monitor temperature
- Very reliable and trusted manufacturer
- Compatible and works with a battery that can be charged with a power bank
- Ergonomic design for best results
- Uses any ABS plastic filaments
- Good for beginners who are just getting into 3D printing
- Excellent customer service
- Good for beginners
- Uses any plastic filaments
- Very user-friendly
- Adjustable temperature levels
- The pen keeps an unsteady temperature
- The heating element has been known to fail
Tecboss 3D Drawing Pen, M1 Adults Kids, 3D Printer...
- Hottest Gift for Kids or Adults: the solid, decent and stylish 3D pen that...
- Two Filament Modes and Two Power Modes: the M1 is capable to use both 1.75mm PLA...
- One Button Control: M1 is featured with one button control for drawing; as easy...
The 3D Doodler pen is a very popular pen. Everyone who has bought one loves it and swears that it’s the best. It has all the great features we expect from a 3D printing pen plus a few more to make it stand out. As with most things, it can take time to get used to how the pen works and how to use it properly. However, despite the learning curve it‘s still a good pen for beginners. The Doodler falls into the lower price ranges and is affordable on top of it all.
- Uses both PLA and PCL filaments for versatile designs
- Temperature control mechanism
- Keeps a low temperature while you work
- It charges through USB and can be charged via power bank or USB adapter
- One button controls everything so it’s very user-friendly
- Sports a reliable drive system
- Light indicator for when it’s on to avoid accidentally leaving it on
- Uses two types of filaments
- Low temperature while working
- Easy to use
- Prints slower than some other pens
Scribbler 3D Pen for Printing in the Air 3D...
- AMAZING 3D CREATIONS: Create unique and fantastic 3-D art straight out of your...
- 3D ART MADE EASY: The Scribbler 3-D Drawing Pen is lightweight, easy to manage,...
- KIDS AND ADULTS WILL LOVE OUR SCRIBBLER 3D PEN: Whether you're an experienced...
The Scribbler 3D pen has been around for a while and it’s ideal for beginners, kids, and teens who are finding their own style. 3D printing is a very exciting field of possibilities and with the Scribbler pen, you are sure to create some unique and inspiring designs. The Scribbler pen is a popular choice and it falls within a lower price range which makes it affordable if you’re on a budget.
- Suitable for all ages
- Lightweight design
- Easy to use and hold
- Great and ergonomic design for best results
- Uses ABS plastic filaments
- Comes with three loops of ABS plastic filaments
- Carries a 30-day money back guarantee
- 180-day free replacement policy for faulty pens
- Easy to use
- Versatile and endless design opportunities
- Large OLED screen
- Plastic refills are expensive
- Can be tricky for beginners who haven’t used 3D pens before
3D printing pens are a true modern marvel and they make for a lot of fun in translating those abstract creative ideas into reality. 3D pens are used by professional artists, children, hobbyists and pretty much anyone who feels like designing something unique.
This guide aims to explain what exactly these pens are and what you should look for when deciding which one to buy. Our buyer’s guide gives you top considerations and you can decide based on these things which pen is best for your needs.
What is a 3D pen?
A 3D pen works a lot like a glue gun. Instead of using lead or ink, the 3D pen uses plastic filaments called thermoplastics or photopolymers, which are known as cool ink. What happens with most pens is that you feed the filament into the pen and it gets heated to a temperature where it melts. It becomes fluid so you are able to draw with it. Once the plastic has cooled down, you have a unique 3D design.
What should you consider before buying?
Control – Control refers to how easy it is to use. Different pens have different features. Some are bulkier than others, some have smart technology that controls temperature while you work, some are easier to hold than others, etc. The controllability will determine whether it is suitable for beginners or experienced users. It will also determine whether it’s safe for your child to use.
Design – You want to look for an ergonomic design. You will see that different pens look and feel different. You may prefer a thinner pen above a bulky one or you may want a specific color. The design features will also include how heavy it is and whether it is portable. If you want to be able to carry your pen with you and use it anywhere easily, you should look at the more portable options.
Cost – Cost will always be a determining factor. There are pens in three price ranges: low, mid-range, and high-end. Your budget will determine what you can afford. Luckily, many of the lower cost pens are still great quality and reliable for the most part. Have a look at the different costs and what each pen offers and decide which one will give you more value for money while staying under budget.
Filaments – Different pens make use of different types of filaments. You should look at the type and how easy and effective it is to draw with. Also, look at the cost of replacing the specific filaments. You may also want to buy a model that makes use of more than one type of filament for some versatility.
Brand – The brand does play a role. Some brands are well-known and trusted even if they are cheaper. The brand can tell you whether you should consider the product seriously or not and determine the level of support you can expect. You can also look at customer reviews online to see which brands are consistently rated as good. Customers are quick to point out when they don’t like something or were unhappy with the performance.
3D printing pens are pretty cool in our opinion. It’s still a relatively new technology, but it’s improving and we will soon see even better designs, smarter tech, and even more great features. These pens have opened up a whole new world for designers and artists who are creating the most amazing things already. If you just want a great gift for your child or a friend who loves being creative, a 3D printing pen is also a great option.
We definitely suggest that everyone try one of these pens. 3D printing is a big deal and we believe it will change the world. Get a pen and create some of your own amazing ideas and make those abstract thoughts a reality.